The quest for smooth skin is no easy task. Shaving sucks and you have to do it every few days. With waxing, you have to wait for hair to grow long enough before you can wax again. Luckily there’s another option, and that’s epilation.
Many women turn to the best epilators in search of a better hair removal option and very few of them go back to wax and razors after trying out an epilator.
An epilator is one of the best tools for removing unwanted hair, especially on women’s legs and/or under armpits. It’s easy, albeit a little painful to use and it’s very accessible. But there are different types of epilators that boast of various special features, and what is best for you will depend on your needs and preferences.
You can’t just go for the cheapest one or the cutest looking one you can find, because it’s something you use to take body hair out from the roots. There are many things you should take into consideration before buying an epilator, and that’s something we will go over in this article. So be sure to read more for helpful tips for finding the best epilator for you.
We’ve also included some or our best epilator reviews to give you some options that may fit your needs!
Table Of Contents
- 1 List of the Best Epilators
- 2 Options when finding the best epilator
- 3 Epilators are divided into three main types:
- 4 Wet or dry option
- 5 Corded or battery operated
- 6 Level of pain
- 7 Areas of your body
- 8 Best Epilator Reviews
- 8.1 Braun Silk-epil 9 Wet and Dry Cordless Electric Epilator – Overall Top Epilator
- 8.2 Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver
- 8.3 Remington WDF5030A Wet & Dry Women’s Rechargeable Electric Foil Shaver
- 8.4 Braun Silk-epil 5 Power 5280 Epilator
- 8.5 Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator
- 9 Final verdict
List of the Best Epilators
Options when finding the best epilator
Any product will naturally try to persuade you to buy, it will try to attract you with flowery words, but here are the only things you should be looking out for when shopping for a good epilator.
Epilators are divided into three main types:
Rotating spiral wire
Rotating spiral wire epilators are made up of small springs that are intertwined and flexed so that they catch the hairs and pull them out. However, because of the flexing movement every time the epilator is used, the springs tend to fail and need replacement every now and then, which you won’t have to worry about with the next types of epilators.
The next one is the rotating disc type, which works just the same as the spiral wire, except it uses rotating discs instead of springs.
The third type, multiple tweezer epilator, is considered to be the best type as it is a lot more efficient at pulling hair out. It doesn’t literally use traditional tweezers but plates, which move together and apart as the head of the epilator rotates, causing a tweezing action when it comes in contact with the skin and hair.
Wet or dry option
Many women find that epilating works the best on dry skin, but countless others have also been recommending using it in the shower because it’s gentler on wet skin, which means less pain (unlike waxing, epilating hurts the same every time, no matter how long you have been doing it).
Known brands have also been releasing waterproof epilator models alongside their dry counterparts. Although they cost a bit more than those not meant to use in the shower, waterproof or “wet” epilators will make the process less painful and not as messy as doing it on dry skin.
However, “wet” epilators, when used in water, results in a shorter battery life than when used in a dry environment. Of course, it’s up to you whether this is a deciding factor or not.
Corded or battery operated
Epilators come in both corded and battery-operated models. Those that run on standard batteries will have to be replaced once the battery has died, and one can last a maximum of 5 years. A corded epilator will last even longer than that, especially if you know how to take care of it. However, these should never be used on wet skin or in the shower, and battery-operated models can take care of that if that is your preferred method.
Level of pain
Despite the efficiency of an epilator, you can’t deny that it’s very painful to use. It also doesn’t matter how many times you have done it in the past, t’s going to hurt every time! Some manufacturers have released epilators that claim to be less painful to use because of their vibrating attachments that “massage” the skin as they go about their job.
Areas of your body
Some epilators come with different head attachments to adapt to different areas of the body you want to use it on, and some attachments are sold separately. While most people just epilate their legs, some use epilators on their armpits and other parts of the body as well. If you are one of the latter, you might want to consider purchasing other epilator heads as the regular one can be too harsh and hard to use on smaller areas.
To make shopping for epilators easier for you, we have tried the top epilators in the market and reviewed them. Read our top epilator reviews to find out what we think about them.
Best Epilator Reviews
Braun Silk-epil 9 Wet and Dry Cordless Electric Epilator – Overall Top Epilator
Are your body hairs not long enough for wax to get to them? This was a problem I had that Braun’s Silk-epil promises to get rid of. Its wider head ensures that more hairs, even those 4x shorter than wax usually requires, are captured. It also features a vibrating attachment for gentler epilation.
- Remove more hair in one stroke with the 40% wider head
- Remain hair-free for up to 4 weeks
- The MicroGrip tweezer technology removes hair 4x shorter than wax does
- Use it wet and dry in the bath or in the shower
- Virtually painless with regular use
- Comes with a shaver head, trimmer cap, massage cap, a skin contact cap, a charging stand, and a Braun facial brush
- It effectively removes body hair
- The hair does not grow back for up to 4 weeks
- Keeps skin smooth for a long time
- Prevents ingrown hairs
- Catches the shortest of hairs because it gets as close to the skin as possible
- The armpit attachment lets you use the epilator easier around small, curvy areas
- A lot less messy than waxing and a better method than shaving
- Can be used wet or dry
- The device is easy to clean and charge
- The facial brush works well
- Very painful to use
- The attachment meant for sensitive skin doesn’t do anything, as it doesn’t get to short hairs which are usually in areas that are more sensitive
- It doesn’t catch all hairs in one go; you will have to go over one area for a few more times to pull everything out
The Braun Silk-epil 9 is truly one of the best epilators out there. Sure, it still hurts, but no epilator out there can assure 100% painless hair removal. It includes different head attachments that work for every area of the body you can possibly use the device on, and it also includes a facial brush for cleansing and gentle exfoliation. For an epilator, it’s quite impressive for reaching the shortest hairs (even some stubble), but you really have to develop a special technique so that it takes out all the hairs in one go.
Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver
Manufactured by none other than Panasonic, the ES-ED90-P ensures that you can care for your skin the best and most convenient way possible. It quickly removed unwanted hair with its six head attachments meant for use on various areas. It also promises minimal discomfort with each stroke, especially for epilation beginners and people with sensitive skin.
- A multi-functional razor and epilator with dual-speed motor
- Includes 6 snap-on hair remover and pedicure buffer attachments
- Includes a shaver head with hypoallergenic blades for gentle epilation on sensitive skin
- Includes a pop-up trimmer for capturing long and stray hairs
- The dual-disc epilation head follows the natural curves and contours of the body
- Ideal for arms, legs, underarms, and bikini area
- Comes with a pedicure buffer for smooth feet
- For wet or dry use; can be used in the bath or in the shower
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a travel pouch and has built-in LED light
- The skin is much smoother after hair removal compared to other epilators and razors
- Works best on dry skin
- The pedicure buffer works well for smoothing out dry skin on feet
- Does not pinch the skin even though it gets quite close
- Epilation is not any more or less painful than with other epilators
- The dual heads work great on the curves and angles of the body, especially on arms, legs, and armpits
- The LED light helps a lot with getting all the hairs because you can see better, even in low-light settings
- Keeps skin smooth for a long time and the hairs grow back finer
- Beginner friendly
- The process is definitely painful
- Can be used on wet skin, but the results are not as good when used dry
- Will leave red bumps afterwards, but that is to be expected if it’s your first time or if you have extra sensitive skin
I highly recommend the Panasonic ES-ED90-P Epilator to anyone who has sensitive skin or a beginner to the process of epilation. It still causes pain as any epilator does, but it’s a lot gentler than other devices out there. It gets as close as possible to the skin yet doesn’t pinch it during the process, and you get a much smoother result because of the built-in LED light that helps you see every tiny hair.
Remington WDF5030A Wet & Dry Women’s Rechargeable Electric Foil Shaver
Shave closer and leave the skin smoother with Remington’s Rechargeable Shaver. Its angled head uses four blades for quick, smooth shaving that leaves the skin comfortable and hair free. Each pass also nourishes the skin with the moisturizing strip.
- The unique open blade system makes sure that it stays close to the skin at any angle for the closest shave possible
- Perfect for all areas of the body: legs, armpits, and even other more sensitive areas
- Convenient for wet and dry use
- The dual sided blade allows for a great shave in one go
- Mtimicrobial additive that prevents growth of bacteria on the blades
- 100% waterproof
- Can be used with and without shaving gels or creams
- Has a moisturizing almond oil strip that nourishes the skin with each pass
- No-slip grip
- Comes with a charging stand, bikini comb/head guard, and a travel bag
- This device shaves well without cutting or pulling at the skin
- Shaves super close to the skin
- No need for shaving cream or gels
- Can be used either wet or dry
- Very easy to use
- The battery lasts for a long time
- Easy to clean
- The moisturizing almond oil strip helps comfort the skin after cutting hair
You can use it dry, but it doesn’t work as well as it does on wet skin
The Remington WDF5030A is a great electric shaver, especially for beginners because it’s as gentle as a razor can be. It shaves closely without cutting the skin or pulling at the hairs, and the moisturizing strip helps with nourishing the skin after trimming hairs. However, it’s not as good when used dry.
Braun Silk-epil 5 Power 5280 Epilator
Another epilator from Braun, the Silk-epil 5 claims to give you close hair removal, and that it can reach even the shortest hairs. It’s the perfect epilator for both beginners and long-time users as it follows the curves of your body, so it removes all unwanted hair no matter what area you are working on.
- Consists of 40 close-grip tweezers that remove the shortest of hairs
- Gives you up to 4 weeks of smooth, hair-free skin
- Features a pivoting head that adapts to every contour of your body for the best performance
- The SmartLight makes sure that you see even the finest hair for a closer hair removal
- You can select your preferred speed
- It leaves your skin smoother than shaving does
- Can also remove ingrown hair
- The SmartLight helps to see fine hairs better
- Allows for sparser hair growth in the future
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Painful, but this is a given when it comes to epilation
- Has the tendency to pinch the skin
- Doesn’t remove all the hairs at the roots in one go so you will have to go over some spots a few more times
- It’s a corded epilator so you can’t use it on wet skin or in the shower/bath
The Braun Silk-epil 5 is better than shaving when it comes to hair removal, but it almost always misses some hairs, which makes you have to go over the same area again and again. This is not recommended as it will irritate the skin and may draw some blood. Some hairs aren’t pulled out at the root, so it leaves red bumps and irritated hair follicles. It’s a cute little device but is mediocre at best.
Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator
This latest edition of Emjoi epilators claims to be an improved and more powerful version that allows for less painful hair removal, even on sensitive areas like the upper lip, cheeks, chin, underarms, and bikini area. This small epilator is also recommended for touch-ups on the legs.
- Improved and more powerful motor
- Better and less painful hair removal
- Specially designed for sensitive areas of the face and the body
- Comes in a small size that is great for travel
- Leaves the skin undamaged and not irritated, unlike tweezing which leaves red spots
- Keeps skin hairless and smooth for a longer time than shaving
- The hair grows back out finer and sparser which makes for minimal upkeep
- Works quickly and easy to use
- Doesn’t leave a 5 o’clock shadow
- Works great when used properly
- Easy to clean
- Battery operated, so you can use it anywhere
- Small and portable
- Can hurt pretty badly at first
- Misses a few hairs so you have to repeat the process in some areas
- Needs replacement pretty often
The Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator is recommended for anyone who needs something that is designed for facial hair and other small, sensitive areas of the body. It may not work as well on larger areas like the legs because of its size, but because it is small and portable, it’s perfect for travel and quick touch-ups. It’s not the absolute best out there, but it works well for its intended purpose.
We choose the Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver because it does everything that we expect from an epilator and more, because it can also work like a shaver. Epilation does hurt and may even draw a little blood, especially for first-time users who are unfamiliar with epilating, but that is to be expected. It removes hair as gently as it can, and removes hair in all areas of the body. You get the smoothest epilation because of its LED light and the dual-ended head.
The Remington WDF5030A Wet & Dry Women’s Rechargeable Electric Foil Shaver is an excellent shaver, but it is not an epilator, and the hair will grow back quickly. The Remington has the bonus of a moisturizing almond oil strip that certainly helps soothe the skin after shaving.
Hopefully you will find the best epilator for you with our top epilator reviews.