Of all the areas where you'd want to remove hair, the bikini line can be the worst. It's super-sensitive, it's prone to ingrown hairs, and the hair in that area can be coarser and thicker than hair elsewhere.
While there are lots of options for hair removal in the bikini area, epilation is quickly becoming a trendy pick. So, what's the best epilator for bikini line?
We've rounded up a few of our top picks and a guide to help you choose the best epilator for you.
Need More Ideas?: If you're interested in a full brazilian and not just bikini line epilation and want to know if there are specific epilators for that, check out our best epilator for brazilian reviews.
List of Best Epilators for Bikini Area
Best Epilator for Bikini
Product Summary: Epilators for Bikini Line
What is the best epilator for bikini area and how does an epilator for the bikini line differ from a standard, general purpose epilator?
In a few ways. First, since the bikini area is small, it’s a good idea to look for an epilator that’s small.
Another thing to consider is the power source of the epilator. Although the area is small, the hair tends to be coarse and thick, meaning it might need a bit more “oomph” for an epilator to pull it out.
Finally, you want to think of the special features and attachments the device has. The best epilator for bikini line will have attachments that help to make quick work of tidying up the bikini area.
- Number of Tweezers. When it comes to the size of the head, smaller is better for the bikini line. While many of the products we reviewed have larger heads, the Philips Satinelle Essential has just 20 or so tweezers.
- Corded/Cordless. Most of the models we reviewed, such as the Silk-épil 7, are cordless. While many of the cordless models need just an hour or so to charge, one, Philips BikiniPerfect Advanced Bikini Trimmer, takes a full 10 hours. The Philips Satinelle Essential is the only corded model in our line-up.
- Special Attachments. A cap that covers up some of the tweezers, known as a delicate or efficiency cap, is preferable when epilating the bikini area. Each of the models we reviewed included either a special head just for the bikini region or a cap to go over the existing head. The Silk-épil 7 also came with a bonus bikini trimmer.
Reviews of the Best Epilators for Bikini Line
Braun Women’s Epilator, Silk-épil 7 – Best Overall Bikini Line Epilator
Braun is probably the company that’s most committed to bikini line epilation, and it has a range of epilators for a variety of uses. Of the brand’s products, the Silk-épil 7 is probably the best epilator for the bikini line.
The one thing that sets the Silk-épil 7 apart from the rest is that it includes a separate bikini trimmer. You can use the trimmer before epilating to cut hair down to the desired length.
There’s no need to worry about cutting the hair in the area too short, either. The Silk-épil 7 can remove hairs that are as small as a grain of sand.
A cordless epilator, it charges up quickly — in as little as one hour — and holds the charge for up to 40 minutes. You can use the device in the shower or dry conditions.
Another great feature of the Silk-épil 7 is the pivoting head, which helps you navigate around the bikini area with ease.
People who have used the Silk-épil 7 have praised the fact that it helps them get smoother skin over time. Other users have noted that the epilator is a lot more comfortable to use and less painful than they were anticipating.
Things We Liked
- Comes with multiple attachments
- Includes a bikini trimmer
- Charges fast and hold the charge for up to 40 minutes
- Has a light
- Includes a precision cap, which covers up some of the tweezers and is ideal for use in the bikini area
Things We Didn’t Like
- Some users complained that it didn’t grab and pull hair very well
- Other users complained that it takes too long to use the device to remove hair
Philips BikiniPerfect Advanced HP6378 Bikini Trimmer Kit – Best Multi-Use Epilator for Bikini Line
The Philips BikiniPerfect Advanced Bikini Trimmer kit is your one-stop shop for all your bikini-area hair removal needs. Seriously, this device is much more than just an epilator.
The trimmer includes six attachments, one of which is an epilator. It also has a precision comb for trimming the hair in the bikini area to a certain length (there are five length settings) and a shaver.
Interestingly enough, the bikini trimmer isn’t only designed for use in that area. The device comes with an eyebrow comb and a small trimmer so that you can groom the hair on your face and brows.
The Philips trimmer also makes it easy to exfoliate the skin before you epilate, as it comes with a special exfoliating glove. People who have used the Philips trimmer either love it and rave about it or aren’t that impressed. Those who fall into the not-so-impressed camp find that the trimmer struggles to maintain a charge after a few months of use.
Meanwhile, people who have used it and love it find that the number of hair removal options it provides is ideal for their needs and that the trimmer makes short work of hair removal.
Things We Liked
- Comes with six attachments
- Can be used in multiple areas of the body, not just the bikini area
- Charge lasts for a full hour
- Works wet or dry
Things We Didn’t Like
- Though it works great as an epilator, the shaver attachment is a bit dull and not so good
- The battery dies quickly and struggles to hold a charge after a few months of use
- It takes 10 hours to charge up the battery
Philips Satinelle Advanced Wet & Dry Epilator – Most Comfortable Epilator for Bikini Line
The Philips Satinelle Advanced Wet and Dry Epilator is another combined shaver/epilator for the bikini area and beyond. The device comes with six attachments, which allow you to customize your hair removal experience.
The epilator is designed for either wet or dry use and features ceramic tweezers, not metal. The ceramic material is better able to grip the hair, making it easy to use the epilator to remove even very short hair (as short as 0.5 mm). The ceramic tweezers also make the epilator ideal for use on sensitive areas, such as the bikini line.
Some users of the Philips Satinelle complained about the shape of the epilator’s head, noting that it made it difficult to remove hair from certain areas of the body. Others noted that the epilator was particularly painful to use in the bikini area, but discomfort is to be expected, especially the first few times you epilate.
Those who have used the product and loved it have said that it’s their favorite epilator and that they prefer the ceramic tweezers over metal ones.
Things We Liked
- Includes a variety of attachments
- Has a “Delicate Cap” for use in the bikini area
- Battery lasts for 40 minutes
- Has two speeds
Things We Didn’t Like
- Ceramic tweezers are divisive — you either love them or hate them
- Head is an awkward shape, can be difficult to use in the bikini area and other hard-to-reach spots
Colyn C2 Lady – Best Cheap Epilator for Bikini Line – Best Budget Epilator for Bikini Line
The Colyn C2 Lady Epilator contains four cutter heads, respectively for dead skin removal, haircut, hair plucking and shaving. The appliance can be used by the whole family with various functions of shaving, removing hair of hands, feet, armpits and bikini lines, grinding feet for removal of hair and exfoliating
It’s safer than scrapers, easier to use than pumice stones, and more efficient than ordinary foot files. It owns a compact body, making it convenient to carry during a journey
It’s also easy to hold and is very compact. It’s is pro-environment, long-life, high-end, delicate and simple to operate
The product’s cutter head is removable for washing after use with a clean brush, making the product both safe and sanitary.
The power is enough to be used for 50 minutes: Charge the battery for 8-10 hours once and just make sure the product is power-off while being charged, then you can use the product for 60 minutes. If you only use it for 15 minutes every time, it can be use for one month on end.
Things We Liked
- Simple design
- Small head size is ideal for bikini area
- Long lasting on charge
Things We Didn’t Like
- Some claim that the epilator doesn’t do a good job pulling out the hair
Is It a Good Idea to Epilate the Bikini Line?
Before we launch into how to use the best epilator for bikini area, let’s answer the question of if it’s even a good idea to use an epilator in that area.
If you’ve ever had irritation after shaving or waxing, then you know that the bikini area tends to be extra sensitive. Ingrown hairs are a common issue, for one thing.
That said, with the right preparation and planning, it’s perfectly fine to epilate the bikini area. We recommend epilating at least a day (if not two or three) before a beach trip or pool party, to give the area time to calm down and any redness to fade.
We also recommend exfoliating first to minimize the risk of ingrown hairs.
How to Epilate the Bikini Line
Now that you’ve gotten the all-clear to epilate the bikini area, here’s how to use the best epilator for bikini hair removal.
- Shower first. We recommend taking a warm shower and exfoliating the bikini area with a loofah or other scrubby sponge before epilating. The warm water will help to soften the hair follicles, making the epilating process a bit more comfortable.
- Trim the hair. Epilators work on hair that’s as short as 0.5 mm. We recommend trimming it to about 2 or 3 mm for best results. Use a bikini trimmer for accuracy.
- Hold the epilator at a 90-degree angle. When using the epilator, you want to hold it perpendicular to the skin.
- Pull the skin taut. The skin around the bikini line is fleshy and soft. If you don’t pull it flat and tight, there’s a chance that the tweezers will grab the skin and not hair — ouch!
- Go against the direction of hair growth. Move the epilator against the direction of hair growth so that it’s able to grab and lift away more hairs.
- Take your time. Some people claim that going fast is better, but we find that going slow helps you get more of the hairs and reduces the risk of irritation.
Tips for Epilating the Bikini Line
These tips will help you enjoy a more comfortable epilation process.
- Use the epilator on dry skin. While many people find that using the epilator in the shower or bath makes for a more pleasant experience, with the bikini area, the opposite is true. When you use it on dry skin, you can better see what you’re doing.
- Get a good look. The bikini line can be an awkward area to epilate. We recommend using a light and a mirror so that you can more clearly see what you’re doing.
- Take it easy after epilating. You want to avoid any activities that might irritate the area or cause an infection. Skip the gym for a few days and don’t have sex right after you epilate.
- Apply a lotion afterward. To help calm and soothe any redness or irritation, we recommend using an unscented moisturizer or lotion after you epilate. The lotion can also help to reduce the risk of ingrown hairs.
- Exfoliate a day later. To prevent ingrown hairs, we recommend exfoliating a day or two after you epilate.
- Don’t epilate when you’re on your period. The bikini area is super sensitive during that time of the month. Wait to epilate until about a week or so after.
Review Our List of Best Epilators for Bikini
Final Thoughts on the Best Epilator for Bikini Line
If we had to choose the best epilator for bikini line (and we do), we’d pick the Braun Women’s Epilator, Silk-épil 7. Not only does the Silk-épil 7 come from a brand that’s known for its epilators, but it also has plenty of features that help to improve comfort and ease of use.
A few of the stand-out features of the Braun Silk-épil 7 include the included bikini trimmer, as well as the light and speed settings. Whether you’ve been epilating for years or are looking to try it for the first time, the Braun is a solid pick as the best epilator for the bikini line.